The Club has 15 Special Interest Groups which offer members a wide variety of activities. New members, partners, friends and guests are always welcome to participate in any of the activities.
For detailed information about a Groups’ upcoming activities, please click on the name of the Group in which you are interested.
- Twice a year, enjoy day-long bus trips to places of interest within Victoria.
- Enjoy local outings, reachable either by public transport or “self-drive”.
- Travel in a group on 2 or 3 trips each year.
- Stay for 3-5 days in caravan park cabins or motels at locations around southern Australia.
- Visit local interest spots and sights.
- There is always plenty of time to share views in a social atmosphere enjoying each other’s company.
Family History Group
- Examine current genealogical research.
- Listen to guest speakers at “Home” meetings.
- Every second month, visit an historical society, library, or museum.
- Tell us about your family history; we’d love to hear the tale.
- Gain insights and discuss share selections in a virtual portfolio game.
- Explore current economic topics and financial opportunities for our members.
- Both novice and experienced investors are always welcome.
- Enjoy watching a good movie on a Tuesday in a comfortable theatre – the Palace Cinema Balwyn.
- Meet for a coffee before the movie or enjoy lunch after the movie.
Music Appreciation Group
- Listen to, and enjoy different musical genres and styles.
- Enjoy performances of wonderful singers and musicians – past and present.
- Discuss musical themes.
Pads, Phones, Pods Group
- Learn how to realise the potential from your iPad, iPhone or Mac laptop.
- Raise questions on issues, or demonstrate your favourite Apple apps.
- New subject matter from the Apple world is regularly introduced and discussed at each meeting.
- Enhance your painting skills.
- Newcomers with little or no experience are tutored and encouraged to expand their latent skills.
- Each year, the Group hosts its annual Art Show in December.
- The Group meets weekly in a social atmosphere at the Balwyn Community Centre.
- Time to take more pictures.
- Develop your creative skills in the taking, enhancement, storage and presentation of photographs.
- Regular photo “shoots” take place in day and night locations within easy driving distance of Balwyn.
Travel & Holiday Group
- Share experiences, recommendations and advice on holiday destinations, (domestic and international), fares and important travel information.
- Been somewhere exciting? Tell us about the location and what you enjoyed.
- Ever wondered what it would be like to play a ukulele?
- Come along and have a go!
- Beginners are most welcome.
- Instruments are provided for you to try.
- Enjoy the outdoor experience of easy 5-6 km walks along Melbourne’s trails and streets.
- Discuss points of interest with fellow walkers.
- End the walk with a social lunch at a convenient eatery.
Wine Appreciation Group
- Good fellowship is like good wine; the longer you care for it the better it is.
- Come and join us for interesting and convivial discussions, together with visits to great wineries.
“Woodies” (Woodworking & Home Maintenance) Group
- Discuss home maintenance projects and issues, and exchange ideas.
- Every second month, explore a manufacturing enterprise, engineering workshop, car restorer or boat yard .
- Want to see how something is made or refurbished? This is the Group for you!
Writing for Pleasure
- Develop your creative writing skills by writing about a topic chosen by the Group.
- It can be prose or poetry.
- Discuss writing styles, people’s approaches and techniques used.
- The Group meets at the Balwyn Community Centre.